Saturday 2 January 2016

Starting point

After all the selected directors pitched their ideas in our seminar, I was immediately intrigued by Lauren’s narrative for ‘Child Eyes’. I find the psychological nature of the film fascinating and representative of a meaningful and emotional journey of an elderly man who reconnects with his inner-child. I envision a strong visual style for the production and I am dedicated to perform the role as the camera operator/director of photography

Having being told that my strengths lie within editing, I feel that with sufficient research and motivation, I can improve my camera skills to the same level. I am eager to be part of the creative process of forming a thorough shot list, which would enhance the themes of isolation, unhappiness, as well as rediscovering happiness. Additionally, lighting is another area that has drawn me to this role, being previously inspired by film noir lighting. 

Before the designated filming days, I realise I have to conduct extensive research during the pre-production stage. 

My research would include:
  • Reviewing the basics of various shot types, angles, camera movement and the purpose of their use.
  • Viewing and analysing films that are significant for their cinematography
  • Viewing and analysing amateur films in terms of the common mistakes that are generally made. 
  • Watching videos on camera techniques and lighting.
  • Watching interviews with cinematographers.
  • Reading academic books on camera techniques and lighting.
  • Revisiting last year’s notes on camera set-up such as colour temperature, advised shutter angle and frames per second.
  • Reviewing  last year’s documentary ‘The Digital Age’ and reflecting on the feedback.
  • And finally putting my gained knowledge into practice before the filming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment